Online Safety and Security
Forsyth Barr employs various security measures to ensure that your personal information are protected. You can also play a big part. This page outlines a few simple online security tips.
If you ever think safety or security have been compromised on the Forsyth Barr website or your personal login then please contact us on 0800 367 227.
Website Security Features
Always look for the website security features. There are two features that verify you are logging on to Forsyth Barr the correct way.
- the website address is https://www.forsythbarr.co.nz.
- a "padlock" symbol appears on your web browser. The "padlock" symbol indicates that the page you are on has additional security. You can double-click the padlock symbol to view the certificate's details.
If you receive a warning message (for example: name mismatch, invalid date, untrusted certifying authority or failed to retrieve revocation list), terminate the Internet session immediately and contact Forsyth Barr on 0800 367 227.
Here are a some useful password rules:
- Don't share your password.
- Don't use the same password for multiple websites or logins.
- Do not choose a password that is easily identified with you (for example, your date of birth, telephone number or your name or any part of it).
- A password should have a minimum of eight characters, be as meaningless as possible and use uppercase letters, lowercase letters and numbers, eg. xk28LP97.
- Change passwords regularly, at least every 30 days.
- Do not give out your password to anyone. Forsyth Barr will never ask you to disclose your password.
- Do not disclose your password to anyone, including a family member, friend or your Investment Advisor.
If you suspect that your password has become known to a third party change it immediately.
Your Computer Security
Forsyth Barr strongly recommends that you install and maintain security software on your computer such as firewall, anti-virus, anti-spam and anti-spyware protection. It's important to keep this software up-to-date and perform regular scans of your computer to help protect you from such threats as viruses, spyware, spam and generally safeguard your personal information.
Be wary of any email that asks for financial details, passwords or private information. Forsyth Barr will never email you asking for this sort of information.
If you receive a hoax email there a number of actions you should take:
- Do not click on any links or open any attachments. Delete the email.
- Never provide personal details or sensitive information such as your password or other log on details.
- Report the incident
- Change your password
Be cautious when accessing public computers or any computers you do not control.